Japanese Inspired Cabbage Pancake
The weather had been less cheering for the past few weeks especially when the cold winter starts. I really long for a bright sunshine weekend. Oh ya, the long waited bright sunny Saturday morning is finally here again. I feel super fresh in the morning and decided to make a hearty breakfast to start the day. And ... I am making myself my all-time-favourite yet healthy cabbage pancake.
It is a simple to make yet filling breakfast and the ingredients are very basic, merely cabbage, egg, plain flour and seasonings.
(serving for 2 person)
100g cabbage (shredded)
2 hotdog (thinly sliced)
Siracha chili sauce (optional)
1 cup of plain flour
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
pepper to taste
1. Combine all the batter ingredients into a mixing bowl.
2. Add-in the shredded cabbage, hotdog slices and mix everything well.
3. Heat-up some cooking oil in the skillet and pour in the mixture and form a round shape.
4. Pan-fry for 5 minutes over medium high heat.
5. Flip over the pancake, pan-fry for 2-3 min till both sides turned golden brown.
Top the cabbage pancakes with your favorite sauce. For more vibrant color, garnish the pancake with chopped scallion. I top my cabbage pancake with sriracha sauce for extra kick.
You may turn the humble cabbage pancake into Okonomiyaki (Japanese savory pancake) by adding the Okonomiyaki sauce, mayo and bonito flakes on top of the pancake. For a more luxurious version, you may also substitute the hotdog with bacon or seafood.