Healthy Toasted Roti John Recipe

Sunday, May 26, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

roti john with carrot salad

Undeniably Roti John can be pretty greasy and oily, mainly because the breads are pan fried in butter or oil. I have been wondering whether there is a way to enjoy my favorite Roti John healthily and minus the guilt. Yes, I am glad to share finally I have found an answer. I could choose to TOAST it instead of pan fried the breads.

In this post, I would like to feature my healthy version of toasted Roti John recipe with anchovy sambal paste. This is the healthy version, hence I opt to go moderate with my ingredients especially with less oil and seasoning; wheat buns were used instead of white bun; one beaten egg for the spread of 2 halve hotdog buns instead of two.

Ingredients: 2 wheat hotdog bun, an egg (beaten with some light soy sauce and pepper), 1 tea spoon of olive oil, 1 table spoon of anchovy sambal paste.

First, spread the anchovy sambal paste evenly on the surface of the halved hotdog buns. Next, use a spoon to drizzle the beaten egg mixture onto the surface of the buns, follow by a few drops of olive oil. At the heat of 180c, toast the buns in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the buns turn golden brown.

Check out how crispy the bread is.
roti john
It tasted as good as the one which is pan fried, minus the layer of greasy oil. The breads were crispy and non eggy in taste. The spicy and slightly salty anchovy sambal paste infused a complex taste profile and extra kick to my Roti John. Top with some carrot salad, it tasted shockingly good! Crispy bread, spicy anchovy and egg filling plus the crunchy carrot, what a great texture and flavour!

Yeah ... now I can enjoy my favorite Roti John without the usual guilt of extra fat and cholesterol, definitely no extra inches on my waist!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Loading...